New International Arrival Student Tour

Documents for visa applications

It is important to take extra time and care to ensure that your supporting documents meet relevant visa requirements.

It is important that your application is correct and you provide all of the documents for your application to avoid having your visa application being refused (you may not have enough time to make another visa application).

In your visa application you must provide the original copies of:

  • Your passport, which must be valid at the time of your application. If you still have other passports that you used to travel to/from the UK, please submit these with your visa application.
  • Your BRP card (if you have one).
  • Passport size photographs that meet the UK Visa and Immigration requirements.
  • Qualifications, which are detailed on your CAS.
  • Your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test.
  • English language certificate (where required).
  • If your offer and/or CAS states that you are exempted from the English language requirement on the basis of a qualification from the majority English speaking country, you will also need to obtain a NARIC Statement of Comparability for your qualification and submit it in support of your Tier 4 visa application together with your original qualification and all other relevant documents.

  • An up-to-date sponsor letter with details of your sponsor and sponsorship, if you are a government sponsored student. It must be issued on a letter-headed paper and have your sponsor’s stamp on it.
  • Your financial sponsor’s permission to stay in or re-enter the UK, if you are a continuing student who is still sponsored or whose financial sponsorship ended within the last 12 months. Your sponsor must confirm that they have no objection to your continuing study in the UK.
  • Your ATAS certificate (where required – this is detailed in your offer letter and your CAS).
  • Original bank statements or electronic bank statements (printed and stamped by your bank) if you are self-funded or partially sponsored. 
  • Your bank statement must show that you have enough money to pay your outstanding course fees (as listed on your CAS) and a minimum of £9135 (£1015 x 9 months) living expenses (or at least £1015 per each month of your course if it is shorter than 9 months).

  • The funds must have been in your bank account for at least 28 consecutive (calendar) days ending with the date of the closing balance. The bank statement itself cannot be older than one month on the date of your visa application. If you are not sure whether you have enough money or how to calculate the amount, please contact our team at

  • It is advisable to have more than a minimum amount of funds and to keep it for more than 28 calendar days just in case any mistakes are made in calculating the correct amount and period of time.

  • You can provide your parents’ bank statements, but will need to provide more documents in support of your visa application, such as original birth certificate, official translation if not in English, original letter from your parents confirming that you are their child and that you have their permission to use their funds. Please contact our team at for more information if you intend to use your parents’ bank statements.

Translating documents

If you need to translate your qualifications or any other documents in the UK, you can find local translation agencies using one of the internet search engines. It is advisable to contact a few agencies to compare costs and the length of time it will take agencies to translate your documents before deciding on one.

A certified translation must be dated and include details of the translator/translation agency (name and contact details), their signature and confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original documents.

Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch

Our Immigration Advisors provide free and confidential support on a range of study-related immigration queries.

Immigration advisers at the University of Hull

Immigration Team

Student Central (Third Floor)