New International Arrival Student Tour

Documents for visa applications

It is important to take extra time and care to ensure that your supporting documents meet relevant visa requirements.

It is important to take extra time and care to ensure that your supporting documents meet relevant visa requirements.

You need to prepare the following documents in support your Tier 4 General visa application. Some of the documents below will not be relevant to your application. All documents must be in English or accompanied by a certified official translations. If you are not sure, please contact our team for further information.

  • Passport, which must be valid at the time of your visa application and travel to the UK. If you have other passports that you used to travel to/from the UK, please submit these as well.
  • BRP (Biometric Residence Permit), if you have one.
  • Qualifications, which are listed on your CAS.
  • ATAS certificate (only where required – it will be stated in your offer letter and/or your CAS).
  • Tuberculosis test results from the UKVI approved clinic if you’re from a country where you have to take the test, coming to the UK for more than 6 months, making your application from outside of the UK and not exempt from it.
  • Police Registration Certificate (if you have one and applying for your visa inside of the UK). It must be up to date with details of your current address, visa, passport, etc.
  • English language certificate (where required).  


  • If your offer and/or CAS states that you are exempt from the English language requirement on the basis of a qualification from the majority English speaking country, you will also need to obtain a NARIC Statement of Comparability for your qualification and submit it in support of your Tier 4 General visa application together with your original qualification and all other relevant documents. 

  • If you are sponsored by your Government/University or other officially recognised sponsor, an up-to-date sponsor letter with details of your sponsor and sponsorship. It must be issued on a letter-headed paper and have your sponsor’s stamp on it.

    Your financial sponsor (a government or an international scholarship agency) must give you permission to stay in or re-enter the UK, if you are a continuing student and are still sponsored, or if your financial sponsorship ended within the last 12 months. Your sponsor must confirm that they have no objection to your continuing studies in the UK. Please check ‘documents needed to show official financial sponsorship’ section of the current Tier 4 Guidance.
  • Must be your personal bank account.

  • Must be in the format accepted by UKVI. Please check ‘documents needed to show money available to the student’ section of the current Tier 4 Guidance.

  • Your bank statement/s must show that at the time of your visa application (the date you pay your visa application fee) you have enough money (often referred to as funds or maintenance) to pay your outstanding course fees (as listed on your CAS) and a minimum of £9135 (£1015 x 9 months) living expenses (or at least £1015 per each month of your course if it is shorter than 9 months).

  • These funds (the minimum amount required or more) must have been in your bank account for at least 28 consecutive (calendar) days ending with the date of the closing balance. The bank statement itself cannot be older than one month on the date of your visa application. If you are not sure whether you have enough money or how to calculate the amount, please contact our team.

  • You can rely on your overseas personal bank account from the financial institution accepted by UKVI. If this account is not in British pounds (GBP), please check with OANDA to find out how much money you need to show you have in the overseas currency. On the date of your visa application, please check again, convert the closing balance as well as the lowest balance within the 28 day period (if different) into GBP and write this amount on your bank statement.

  • It is advisable to have more than a minimum amount of funds required and to keep it for more than 28 calendar days just in case any mistakes are made in calculating the correct amount and period of time and/or due to fluctuations in the currency exchange rates.

  • You can submit your parents’/legal guardian personal bank statements, but will need to provide more documents, such as your birth certificate/official court document with details of your legal guardian, official translation if not in English, a signed letter from your parents/legal guardian confirming that you are their child and that you have their permission to use their funds. Please contact our team for more information.


The money that you provide evidence of at the time of your visa application must continue to be available to you during your studies with us.

For more detailed information please check ‘documents needed to show money available to the student’ section of the current Tier 4 Guidance.

  • A consent letter from your parents/legal guardian if you are under 18 years old when making your visa application.

    This letter must confirm you are their child and give you permission to make a Tier 4 General visa application, to travel here and for you to live independently in the UK during your studies. 

    It needs to be signed by both parents unless this letter confirms that you only have one parent/legal guardian who has legal custody/sole responsibility. In addition, please also provide your birth certificate/certificate of adoption or a court document with details of your legal guardian.

Low risk nationals

If you are a national of one of the countries listed in Appendix H of the Immigration Rules, UKVI may process your visa application under their ‘differentiation arrangement’. This means that you will be considered as a ‘low risk applicant’ and will not be required to provide evidence of your qualifications or your money at the time of your visa application.

However, you must prepare all of your documents, including your qualifications and financial evidence. UKVI may request these documents as part of processing your visa application.  If you are unable to provide this evidence, your visa application is at risk of being refused.

Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch

Our Immigration Advisors provide free and confidential support on a range of study-related immigration queries.

Immigration Team

Student Central (1st floor)

Students and Applicants please raise an enquiry in MyHull Portal

Prospective Students please email

+44(0)1482 462222