Brynmor Jones Library

Safety and security

The safety and security of our students and staff is always our primary concern.

As in any city, and whilst rare, unsettling incidents can sometimes occur.

We all remain deeply concerned for the welfare of our missing student Libby Squire. At this worrying time, we are providing reassurances to students and staff about the security and safety measures in place on campus, as well as reminders of some steps everyone  can take – on and off campus – to support their personal safety.

Supporting your safety and security on campus

Our campus is monitored 24 hours a day, 365 days a year by our helpful and professional Facilities and Security Team. This provision has been enhanced to provide additional assurance to students, staff and visitors.

The Lawns, and on-campus student accommodation halls - The Courtyard and Westfield Court - have staff on-site 24 hours a day.

However, if you do notice anything suspicious, witness an incident, or have specific concerns about the safety of yourself or someone else while on campus, please get in touch. An escort can be provided for extra reassurance, particularly for students who have late lectures. To access this service:

  • Call: 01482 465555 (emergency)
  • Call: 01482 466868 (non-emergency)
  • Visit: Main reception, Venn Building

Additional Hull University Union safety advice and services

HUU provide additional information services, including a safe taxi scheme that provides payment free transport home. Details can be found on the University of Hull Student Union website.

Find out more

Humberside Police presence and campus police officer

Humberside Police will continue be on campus to provide advice and reassurance at this time, and can be contacted via the Central Hub in Student Central, on the first floor of Student Central or on 01482 464020.

In addition to the officers and PCSOs on campus PC Carl Palmer is the dedicated campus police officer. He can advise on any safety issues you may have and can offer crime prevention advice. Specific things he can help with include:

  • Dealing with theft
  • Harassment issues
  • Visiting victims of crime
  • Disputes within University housing
  • Disorder on campus

Carl is based in Hall Road, Hull, and can be contacted by email:

If you would like to report a crime in a non-emergency, call 101, if a crime is in progress or it is an emergency, call 999.


Humberside Police continue to work around the clock in the search for Libby. We would ask that anyone with any information that may help find Libby, no matter how small, to contact Humberside Police by calling 101, quoting log 29 of 1/02 or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Reporting incidents that you may feel are related to recent events

If you feel that you have experienced or heard about any incidents which you feel may be connected to recent events, you are asked to contact Humberside Police on 101 (number for non-emergencies).

Student support

If you need support, or simply someone to talk to, the student wellbeing team are here to provide assistance and a listening ear in a safe, confidential and non-judgemental environment. 

You can visit the the Central Hub on the first floor of Student Central or contact the team by emailing or by calling 01482 464020. 

Personal safety

Some simple steps can help you feel safer on and off campus:

  • Use well-lit and busy routes when walking.

  • Try to avoid walking alone in the dark.

  • Make sure your friends know where you’re going.

  • Stay alert and avoid using headphones or talking on your phone as this could prevent you noticing something.

  • Take advantage of the Hull Cars ‘Get You Home’ scheme if you run out of cash on a night out. Just give your student card to the driver and you can pay and collect your card at a later date. Call 01482 82 82 82.

  • Carry a personal safety alarm.Plan ahead by thinking how you will get home safely and your transport arrangements for after a night out.