Humberside Police will continue be on campus to provide advice and reassurance at this time, and can be contacted via the Central Hub in Student Central, on the first floor of Student Central or on 01482 462222.
Officers and PCSOs can advise on any safety issues you may have and can offer crime prevention advice. Specific things he can help with include:
- Dealing with theft
- Harassment issues
- Visiting victims of crime
- Disputes within University housing
- Disorder on campus
To report a crime in a non-emergency, call 101, if a crime is in progress or it is an emergency, call 999.
Some simple steps can help you feel safer on and off campus:
Use well-lit and busy routes when walking.
Try to avoid walking alone in the dark.
Make sure your friends know where you’re going.
Stay alert, be aware of your surroundings, and avoid using headphones or talking on your phone as this could prevent you noticing something.
- Leave venues with friends wherever possible.
- Be confident and walk with purpose.
- Take the most direct route and try to stay within areas where other people are around.
- Trust your instincts - if you think something is wrong then act on it.
- Have your keys available when you reach your home or your car.
Only use licenced taxis and take advantage of the Hull Cars ‘Get You Home’ scheme if you run out of cash on a night out. Just give your student card to the driver and you can pay and collect your card at a later date. Call 01482 82 82 82.
Carry a personal safety alarm. Plan ahead by thinking how you will get home safely and your transport arrangements for after a night out.
- Report anything suspicious to the police on 101 - in an emergency always call 999.