admissions final

Disability advice

Our aim is to fully support you throughout your time at University in every way that we can in order to help you achieve academic success.

The University environment can sometimes present certain issues or challenges.  We work together with students and university staff to help to overcome any barriers to a student's full inclusion. 

We can help by:

  • Putting in place any adjustments you may need such as alternative examination arrangements
  • Liaising with your academic School regarding your support requirements
  • Loaning of equipment
  • Assisting with applications for the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

We provide advice and guidance to students who:

  • Are blind or partially sighted
  • Are deaf or have a hearing impairment
  • Have a long standing illness or health condition such as epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, colitis or cancer
  • Have a physical impairment or mobility difficulty


If you have a mental health issue or autistic spectrum condition please contact our Health & Wellbeing Team for further guidance. Our Learning Support Team support students with specific learning differences such as dyslexia and dyspraxia.



T: 01482 462222


To arrange an appointment, please call 01482 462222 or visit the Central Hub Reception on the 2nd floor of Student Central. You can request a telephone or Skype appointment if you would prefer. 

Assistive Technology

At the University of Hull we provide software on all of our several hundred open access computers including:

  • Read&Write Gold from TextHelp! (text-to-speech, reading and writing support)
  • Mindview and Inspiration Mind-mapping software
  • Screen magnification software
  • Find an open access PC

My Study Bar

My Study bar is an alternative package of assistive software for use at home. It includes screen tinting, mind-mapping and speech-to-text programs, and is totally free.

Disabled Students' Allowances (DSA)

DSAs are available to home students with disabilities and ongoing medical conditions.

The funding can pay for computer equipment, assistive software, certain support worker costs, ergonomic equipment (e.g. supportive chair) and additional disability-related travel costs (e.g. if you need to travel by taxi). 

For further information about how to apply for DSAs and to obtain an application form, please see the governments information on Disabled Students' Allowances.

Disability Liaison Officers

Each School within your Faculty has a designated Disability Liaison Officer (DLO).  Their role is to disseminate information about students who have support requirements to staff in the School who need to know. If you wish to find out who your DLO is, please contact us.


AccessAble provides detailed access guides for all of our buildings.  Please see AccessAble for further information.  

Epilepsy Friendly Mark

The Epilepsy Friendly Mark is awarded by Young Epilepsy to recognise institutions who are doing more to improve their understanding of epilepsy and provide better support to their students. Find out more.

Epilepsy Friendly Mark

GP Practices

Find your nearest GP


Any information disclosed will be handled sensitively and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.