group 5

Frequently asked questions

Have questions? We have answers! If your query isn't covered here, email

Am I eligible to attend a graduation ceremony?

You will be sent an invitation if you are eligible to graduate in April 2018. You will only be allowed to graduate if your award has been formally approved and you do not have any outstanding tuition fee debts to the University.

When and where is my graduation taking place?

All graduation ceremonies will take place at the City Hall, Victoria Square, Hull, HU1 3RQ. Ceremony dates and times for each faculty can be found here.

What do I need to do now?

Debts to the University must be cleared before you are able to graduate. Contact Student Financial Services on +44 (0)1482 466362 or 465674. 

You will be notified of your allocation of tickets by email sent to your personal email address or the email address provided on your online booking form.

On graduation day bring your booking confirmation email to the Student Registration Desk in the Mortimer Suite in the City Hall to register for your seating details.

 Order gowns from the Graduate Gowning Company. Enquiries can be directed via email to or telephone 01736 751855. 

I can’t make the date of my graduation – can I swap to a different day?

If you cannot make the date of your graduation ceremony, unfortunately you will not be able to swap to a different day/ceremony, as the ceremonies are specific to particular faculties and departments. You have two options: you can either graduate in absentia or defer once to the next ceremony, which will take place in January 2019 at the City Hall.

What if my plans change and I can't attend my graduation ceremony?

Please contact 01482 465032 or email immediately.

Students can either graduate in absentia (certificates will be posted to you after the ceremony) or defer their graduation to the next set of ceremonies.

Is there anything I need to do in preparation for my graduation?

1. You need to confirm your attendance at the ceremony by completing your online booking form before 31 May 2018

Your name will appear on your certificate as registered on MyAdmin. If you list names on your graduation online booking which differ from those recorded on MyAdmin, these will not be included on your certificate, as the booking form is only to inform us how you wish to graduate (attend, in absentia or defer). Names can only be amended before the formal approval of your award.

2. Hire or purchase your gown from the Graduate Gowning Company.

3. Book your celebration lunches.

How many guests can I bring?

You will automatically be allocated two guest tickets. If you would like to bring extra guests, you can request this when making your booking online. We will try to accommodate your request but this will be done via a random lottery selection and we cannot guarantee that additional tickets available.

An email will be sent to your personal email address (or the address provided on your booking form) in late June confirming how many guest tickets you have been allocated. We strongly advise you not to make travel or accommodation arrangements for extra guests without confirmation that you have tickets for them.

For the benefit of those unable to attend, we show each ceremony live on our website.

My guest needs a visa to attend the ceremony. How can I get a letter to support their application?

If your guests require a visitor visa to attend the ceremony, we can provide you with a letter of invitation that they can use to support their visa application. The letter will formally invite you to the graduation ceremony.   

To request a letter, complete this form. It usually takes 3–5 working days for applications to be processed. Letters can be collected from the Ask HU Service Desk or posted to the address given on the form. 

Information on how to apply for a visitor visa can be found here.

How will I receive my tickets?

Tickets will be sent to you from Hull City Box Office via email to the address we hold for you.

It Is important that you arrive at the times specified for each ceremony and bring your confirmation email so that you can register on the day for your seating details.

I (or a member of my graduation party) have accessibility requirements. What should I do?

If any of your guests have specific accessibility requirements, please complete the relevant section on the online booking form or contact us as soon as possible - before guest tickets are issued. They will be allocated seating on the main floor level and stewards will be available on the day to direct guests to seats.

Lift access to the main floor is available for guests with mobility difficulties.

Students with mobility needs may be seated on a platform, but this will be discussed with you before the ceremony.

I am not sure whether I have outstanding debts to the University. Should I check?

Yes – if you have outstanding tuition fee debt to the University, then you will be contacted by Student Financial Services. Unfortunately, you will not be able to attend if the debt has not been cleared before the ceremony.

If you are not sure about your position, then please contact Student Financial Services on the second floor of University House or call +44 (0)1482 465674.

Can I collect my certificate rather than have it posted to me if I am not attending the ceremony?

Yes. If you would like to collect your certificate you can collect it certificate 14 days after the ceremony date.

Can I collect my certificate if I am attending the ceremony and need it before the ceremony date?

Yes. If you need to collect your certificate you should let us know by emailing

I can't attend. How is my certificate sent to me?

Certificates are posted within the UK by second class mail and to the EU and overseas by air mail.

International students can arrange for the certificate to be sent by courier by visiting the University online shop. The service is not available for delivery to PO boxes in some countries, so please check DHL delivery is available to the country required before purchasing. 

If you live in China (and not purchasing the courier service) and would like to provide us with your address in Chinese, please complete this form to assist us with posting your certificate.

Is there a dress code?

The University of Hull operates a strict dress code at the graduation ceremonies. The appropriate academic dress (gown, hood and cap) must be worn, and this can be hired (or purchased) from the Graduate Gowning Company, the official authorised robemakers to the University who hold the appropriate academic dress for our graduation ceremonies. This is a very special day for the University as well as for all students and their families, and we ask that you dress smartly.

Men should wear a smart suit or trousers, shirt and tie with smart shoes.

Women should wear a smart suit, dress, skirt or trousers with a shirt or blouse. International students may wear their national costume under their academic gown.

Do I need to hire a robe?

You need to order the correct robes in advance of the ceremony directly from the Graduate Gowning Company by visiting their website. We strongly advise you to contact GGC (the official authorised robemakers to the University who hold the appropriate academic dress for our graduation ceremonies) straight away and certainly no later than 25 June 2018. We advise you to be cautious of any unauthorised robe suppliers.

To order, simply visit hull.graduategowning. You will require your University of Hull student number to log on. Once logged on, you can check your credentials and enter some basic measurements to ensure the correct size is provided. There are just five simple steps to complete. A confirmation email will be sent to your preferred email address. When collecting your academic robes on the day, you will need to produce your order confirmation email or student ID.

Is there a cost?

The University of Hull is one of the few institutions that do not charge for graduation. You must, however, meet the cost of your gown hire, and this is payable directly to the Graduate Gowning Company, the robe hire company.

What safety information do I need to be aware of?

If you feel unwell and need first aid attention please see a member of staff.


If you hear the fire alarm sounding continuously, please leave the building straight away by the nearest emergency exit and make your way to the designated assembly point in Queen’s Gardens (see below).

  • Do not stop to collect your belongings
  • Do not run – this can cause panic and an accident
  • Do not use the lift – the power could be cut off due to the fire and you would be trapped

City Hall

Before the ceremony commences, if you hear the fire alarm sounding continuously, please leave the building straight away by the nearest emergency exit and make your way to the designated assembly point in Queen Victoria Square (see below).

  • Do not stop to collect your belongings
  • Do not run – this can cause panic and an accident
  • Do not use the lift – the power could be cut off due to the fire and you would be trapped

Further instructions will be given during the Graduands’ Marshal’s speech before the ceremony begins as to what to do should the fire alarm sound during the ceremony.