The University of Hull is proud to be a University of Sanctuary. We believe that higher education should be accessible to all on the basis of merit alone, and are pleased to offer three Sanctuary Scholarships to help reduce the barriers to participation in higher education faced by those seeking asylum in the UK.
Each Sanctuary Scholarship consists of a full tuition fee waiver, an annual £2,000 study grant (paid pro rata to part-time students), and tailored personal support. The Scholarships will be awarded to three applicants wishing to begin their studies at the University of Hull in September 2018 who can demonstrate that they have the ability to succeed academically, but face barriers to that success.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for a Sanctuary Scholarship, you must have applied for a place on a University of Hull undergraduate or postgraduate programme, and must meet the following criteria:
- be seeking asylum in the UK, or be the dependent or spouse of someone seeking asylum
- have been granted Discretionary/Limited Leave to Remain following an application for asylum, or be the dependent or spouse of someone who meets the aforementioned criteria
- be ineligible to access mainstream UK student funding due to your immigration status*
- be attending a school, college, community or voluntary group which can provide a reference in support of the application
- live within commuting distance of the University of Hull
- not require assistance with accommodation costs or living expenses
Your application for asylum in the UK (or the application of your parent/guardian or spouse) must have been submitted before you applied to study at the University of Hull.
Applicants must meet the criteria above and be able to provide evidence of their circumstances in order to apply. If your status changes at any point prior to or during your studies, you must notify the University immediately.
How to Apply
Applications for 2019 entry have not yet opened. Please check back later for details on how to apply.
Other support for asylum seekers
From September 2018, new eligible asylum seeker students at the University of Hull will receive a Sanctuary Fee Reduction and be required only to pay fees equivalent to the Home/EU rather than International rate. If your application for the Sanctuary Scholarship is not successful, you may therefore still be eligible for the Sanctuary Fee Reduction. You will find further information here.
* Students with certain residency statuses, including those with refugee status, are normally classified as ‘Home’ students and are eligible to pay fees at the Home/EU rate and to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan through Student Finance England (or the equivalent in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland). If you hold such a residency status, you will not be eligible to apply for the Sanctuary Scholarship. See Student Finance England's website for more details.
A policy document for this award may be found here.