Elevated to grade of Fellow of IEEE in 2010 for research contributions to Robust Fault Diagnosis and Fault Tolerant Control
Best paper award at the 4th IFAC Symposium on Intelligent Components and Instruments for Control Applications SICICA 2000, Buenos Aires,September, 2000, for paper 'Sensor Fault-Tolerant Control of an Induction Motor Drive System'.
IEE Kelvin Premium Award awarded in 1997 for paper, Chen J and Patton R J, 'Optimal Filtering and Robust Fault Diagnosis of Stochastic Systems with Unknown Disturbances', IEE Proceedings on Control Theory and Applications, 143: 1, pp 31-36 (1996)
UKACC prize at CONTROL96, Dalton T and Patton R J, 'An Application of Eigenstructure Assignment to Robust Residual Design', Proceedings of the UKACC International Conference Control, University of Exeter, UK, pp 78-83, vol 1.
Research support gained
- 13 EPSRC/SERC research grants, 11 as PI (1992-2017)
- Ministry of Defence (1983-1989)
- EU research funding: FP4 IQ2FD (1997-2000); FP5 DAMADICS (2000-2004); FP6 NeCST (2004-2007), FP7 ADDSAFE (2009-2012)
- Industry funding: AEA Technology, Alstom, Corus, EADS-Astrium, ESA, Mocean Energy (1999-2017)
- NATO Scientific Affairs
- Royal Society
- British Council/DAAD (Germany)