The Centre, part of the Department of Drama within the Faculty of Arts, was created with five main aims:
- To provide a structure and focus for the study of questions relating to the translation of dramatic and performance material from English into another language and from other languages into English.
- To promote performance translation as an area of research.
- To build a resource centre of existing translators and translations and to foster new performance translations.
- To engage in collaborative projects with other organisations, including theatre companies, universities and cultural institutes.
- To make use of and enhance the resources of the Gulbenkian Centre, the Brynmor Jones Library, and the Language and Computer Centres within the University of Hull
NOTE: As from October 2003, the Performance Translation Centre will extend the
range of its activities and be known as The centre for Performance Translation and Dramaturgy under the directorship of Tony Meech.