Island is a large sparsely populated parish located in the south
of Holderness adjoining the Humber Estuary approximately 4 Km. away
from Patrington . The parish has a population of 259 (1991 Census),
a decrease of 30 since 1981. The Parish of Sunk Island lies in remote
countryside where the South Holderness plain meets the north Humber
foreshore. This 8,000 acre agricultural estate owned by the Crown
was once a small mid-river sandbank often submerged by spring tides.
From about 1600 onwards the "island" has slowly been reclaimed
from the river. The properties in the parish are widely dispersed
owing to the nature of the farming operations on the island except
a cluster of buildings around the cebntrral crossroads which include
a church and the old school. Most of the properties date from mid-19th
Century and are the design of Teulon, an important Victorian architect
Download Sunk Island video (27mb)
General information specific to the parish can be found at the
to 'UK Villages online' information for the Parish of Sunk Island.
For specific information on issues relevant to this Parish, please
click on the subjects listed in the top navigation bar.