The Hull University Business School provides an inspirational environment for researchers on either MPhil or PhD pathways. Our dynamic team of research-oriented academics have expertise in a number of key areas within marketing including electronic/mobile marketing and social media; services marketing including service evaluation; ethical, social, non-profit and political marketing; SMEs and B2B marketing; brand management and internal branding; corporate social responsibility; relationship marketing; advertising and social media.
The MPhil requires two years full-time study and constitutes the equivalent of 360 credits of research including both research specialist training and thesis preparation. Our PhD is a three-year full-time degree which requires a student to complete the equivalent of 540 credits of research, including both research specialist modules and research thesis preparation.
PhD students have the opportunity to add to the sum of knowledge in their chosen field by producing an original piece of research. Our PhD candidates are closely supported and given opportunities to travel and attend conferences, and on campus facilities are excellent. PhD candidates have exclusive access to the Postgraduate Lounge in the newly refurbished Brynmor Jones Library, and all our postgraduate students can make use of facilities in the University's Graduate School. The Business School, meanwhile, has a dedicated work room with cutting-edge facilities.
The Business School's full list of PhD titles include:
- PhD Accounting
- PhD Economics
- PhD Finance
- PhD Human Resource Management
- PhD Management
- PhD Marketing
- PhD Systems Science
Our dynamic team of research-oriented individuals have expertise in a number of key areas within marketing. With a strong focus on applied research that impacts both academic and practitioner areas, our guiding vision is to conduct research that advances knowledge and thinking in the Marketing discipline.
Key themes within the Marketing research group include;
- Electronic/mobile marketing and social media
- Services marketing including service evaluation
- Ethical, social, non-profit and political marketing
- SMEs and B2B marketing
- Brand management and internal branding
- Corporate social responsibility
- Relationship marketing
- Advertising & social media
Our experts welcome applications for postgraduate research across a broad range of topics. Please click on the links below for help with being matched up with a potential supervisor.
- Social marketing, brand communities and cross-cultural aspects of marketing - Dr Stephan Dahl
- Cross-cultural advertising strategies, marketing communications, online marketing, mobile shopping, new media, consumer behaviour - Dr Wen-Ling Liu
- Political marketing, communications, voting decision making - Dr Dianne Dean
- CSR, services marketing and product management, financial services - Dr David Harness
- Services marketing, customer relationships - Prof Chanaka Jayawardhena
- New product development, financial product innovation, service quality, service failure and customer rage, customer loyalty, customer relationship management - Dr Raphaël Akamavi
Open for admission in 2018/19
MPhil: 2 years (full-time)
/ 3 years (part-time)
PhD: 4 years (full-time)
/ 7 years (part-time)
Home/EU: £4,195 (full-time) / £2,098 (part-time)
These fees are for all Marketing research degrees research programmes on this page. For courses lasting more than one year, small annual increases may apply. For more information, please visit www.hull.ac.uk/money.
The Postgraduate Training Scheme
It is now widely recognised by employers, professional bodies and research funding agencies that specialist expertise alone is not sufficient preparation either for research or a subsequent career. With this in mind, the University of Hull requires all its postgraduate research students to follow a research training programme relating both to their particular field of study and to generic skills; for example, information technology and communication skills.
Postgraduate Training Scheme