Data Protection

Data Protection

Data Protection statement to University of Hull students

The University keeps student information only for the purposes of its normal business, including services to applicants, current students and alumni. Most of this information is provided by students themselves, either directly or indirectly through an admissions service such as UCAS, NMAS or GTTR or through an associated institution where students are following validated, franchised or foundation programmes. Other information may be received from referees, employers or managers.

During your time as a student you should help to keep your record accurate by carefully checking your registration material and by checking your details on the student portal from time to time. If you think anything is incorrect, you can amend some details yourself on the portal, other details should be corrected by your departmental office or by Integrated Student Services if you let them know.

The University will only pass student personal information to third parties outside the University where there is a formal data sharing agreement or data processing agreement in place, where we are required to do so by some statutory, legal or contractual obligation or we have received your consent.

Currently, we are required to supply details to the following:

  • Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) (see HESA Student Collection notice below)
  • Student Loans Company
  • Council tax offices
  • National Student Survey
  • Central Bureau for Education Lists and Exchanges (for students going on placements abroad)
  • NHS consortia and confederations
  • English National Board (Nursing)
  • General Medical Council (for medical students).

In addition, we assist students to register on the electoral roll by providing details to the Returning Officers of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council and the Hull City Council.

Use of your information within the University

Only those members and offices of the University which need access to relevant parts or all of your records will be entitled to do so. As well as those staff and departmental offices involved in your academic programme, central offices such as Admissions, Student Services Directorate, International Office, Development and Alumni Relations would normally have access at particular stages. Where appropriate the Graduate School, Careers Service, Counselling Service, Disabilities Office and so on would be able to see relevant details. Services which involve very high levels of confidentiality such as Counselling, Disabilities, Careers and Academic Support Services operate particular agreements with clients which will be explained if you contact them.

Appropriate parts of your records will be available to the Academic Services departments, Libraries,Computing and Corporate Systems, so that they can maintain and enhance their provision. This includes the development of the computerised student record system.

Hull University Union keeps some information about its members. Where these details are also held by the University, then the University will share the information with HUU. Specifically, semester-time and home addresses, programme and year of study and final year indicator will be shared with Union. This is purely to keep down the administrative effort involved. If this causes you any problems, please discuss it with one of the Union’s sabbatical officers. No information about non-members will be made available to the Union.

Reports to sponsors

At the end of each academic session, the University reports to sponsors on each student’s academic progress. Essentially this explains the recommendation to proceed which has been returned by the examiners/assessors. No other personal details are returned beyond those which are required to identify the student correctly.

If you are an exchange student, the University will send a transcript of your academic results to your home institution.

Providing references and confirmation of qualifications

Employers and other academic institutions generally seek confirmation of the qualifications which a student claims to hold.

The University needs to be sure that you wish this information to be given to the prospective employer, institution, etc. You should keep your departmental office(s) informed of third parties, ie contacts outside the University, who may approach the University for details about you. These details include the simple fact of being a registered student.

Similarly, when citing members of staff as referees, you should always let them know who has your consent to take up references. Unnecessary delay might be caused if the University had to check with you every time there was an approach for references.

External web pages and graphic images

The University does not disclose details of individual students on its external web pages without their permission. Occasionally, students may appear in photographs used for publicity purposes. You are not required to be photographed for publicity purposes and you may decline to pose in a particular shot. Where more general photography, or video or webcam coverage has included you and you feel that this is causing you substantial damage or distress, you should inform your departmental office.

External placements

Students may spend parts of their courses working, for example, in industry, commerce, educational, medical or governmental establishments. All of these will need to comply independently with Data Protection, Health and Safety, Employment legislation and so on. A certain amount of personal and academic information about you will be exchanged between the University and the placement provider in order to ensure that your placement runs smoothly and correctly and that monitoring and assessment of your progress is properly recorded.

Please talk to your department about the details of your own placement.

Secure e-learning resources

A number of modules are delivered using electronic media. In some cases, this will also entail communicating within the group by email. Fundamentally, it is intended that electronic communications should serve the same purpose as face to face communications within a classroom-based module. Students registered for a module delivered electronically might therefore find that their email addresses are available to other students in the same group. If you feel that this might cause you substantial damage or distress, you should approach the member of staff responsible for the online communications of your module(s).

Students outside the European Economic Area

It is part of UK Data Protection law that personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data. In the view of the European Commission, very few countries or territories meet this standard. However, in order to continue relationships outside the EEA, there is a set of criteria which allow appropriate transactions to be made.

Students may be resident outside the EEA, they may be following distance taught programmes or accessing web-based modules.

If we send personal information to you, such as your assessment results for example, this is allowable because otherwise we could not perform the duties of our contract with you. Where we are represented outside the EEA by an agent, then it is part of our contract with the agent that they may have custody of certain information which is personal to individual students but also that they are required to protect it according to University of Hull standards.

If you feel that this might cause you substantial damage or distress, you should contact integratedStudent Services.

Students keeping data for the purposes of research

Students processing personal data for the purpose of research associated with their degree programme must do so only under the direct supervision of a member of the academic staff.

Emergency contacts

Emergency contact data will only be used for emergency purposes and will only be disclosed in the immediate health or safety interests of the student. You should inform your emergency contacts that you have supplied their details to the University and that their details will be used only in case of emergency involving you.


It is taken that, by registering as a student, you consent to the processing of your data for normal University business. However, if you feel that you may suffer significant damage or distress by any elements of this, you should consult your Head of Department.

Alumni records

After you finish your course of study, the University will wish to maintain contact with you through the Development and Alumni Relations Office. If you do not wish your personal details to be used for alumni relations purposes, please contact that office at the time of your graduation or at any time thereafter. Also, please let them know if you do not wish to receive direct marketing communications.

Hull York Medical School

Students registered for HYMS programmes will be given additional information on the use of their personal data specific to their course and work within the National Health Service.


This is part of the security operating when you use a number of web-based resources subscribed to by the University such as databases, online reference works and electronic journals, permitting off-campus access within the UK and overseas (subject to licence restrictions). A minimal amount of personal data is passed to Athens which provides users with single sign-on access to these sites. For further information, contact the Brynmor Jones Library enquiry desk, telephone 01482 465250.

National Student Survey

If you are in your final year of undergraduate study, after November 2005 we shall be required to pass your contact details to the organisation appointed by HEFCE to carry out the National Student Survey. These details will comprise your name, home and semester-time addresses, email address and telephone numbers. HEFCE’s agent may contact you directly to take part in a survey to provide feedback about the quality of your programme of study.

You will be able to opt out at any stage in the process and will not be contacted further, once you have made a response to the survey. The survey itself will include information about the handling and uses to be made of your responses. Your contact data will be destroyed by the agent once it is no longer needed for the NSS and will not be used for any other purpose.

If you do not want your data to be used for the NSS, please contact the Quality Office.

There is further information on this in the HESA student collection notice at the end of this paper.

Access to your records

As ‘data subjects’, students are entitled to request a copy of their records: further details of subject access requests are available from your Faculty Office, from integrated Student Services or from the Data Protection Officer in Corporate Systems. In the case of a full subject access request there will be a fee of £10 to cover administrative costs.

The University is careful to ensure that student personal information is properly safeguarded in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

Students keeping data for non-University purposes

If you use University premises or property to process personal data of other individuals (for example on behalf of a HUU society), then you are not covered by the University’s Notification under the Data Protection Act 1998 and must notify or claim exemption as a data controller in your own right. You should always observe the Regulations and Guidelines governing proper use of University computer facilities and services.

 HESA Student Collection NoticeFor students on Initial Teacher Training courses at institutions in England only:

The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) is the official agency for the collection, analysis and dissemination of quantitative information about higher education in the UK. The university is statutorily obliged to send some of the information we hold about you to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) each year, just as other Higher Education Institutions are obliged to provide HESA with some of their students’ data. HESA is a charitable company, and none of this information is used by HESA to make decisions about individual students.

More information about what data is collected by HESA, and the purposes to which that data is put, can be found at the below page of the HESA website: