- Part time fees are calculated on a pro rata basis - so you'll pay around the same amount as a full time student, just spread evenly across your course.
- UK/EU undergraduate students can take out a tuition fee loan to cover course costs, and from 2018 the government is planning to introduce a maintenance loan for living costs too
- The university offers a Studentship to UK/EU undergraduate students with a household income of less than £25,000
- You don't have to pay back any of your tuition fee loan until after you leave university and are earning more than £21,000 per year
- Postgraduate students from England who are undertaking a Masters course can take out a loan of up to £10,280
Part-time UK and EU students can apply for a tuition fee loan, which is paid straight to the university on your behalf to cover your course costs. Tuition fee loans have no upper age limit, and aren't means-tested.
The University of Hull Studentship, worth £1,000, is paid to students with a household income of less than £25,000 who register for a full degree programme.
This is a non-repayable award worth £1,000 for students with a household income of less than £25,000. This is paid to part-time students in their first and second years of study (£500 per year). You can choose to take the award as cash, accommodation discount, or tuition fee waiver, or in any combination of these options. If you choose to receive all or part of the Studentship as cash, you will be paid in three instalments:
- 1 December (25%)
- 3 February (25%)
- 1 May (50%)
How to Apply
After starting your course you will receive an email inviting you to submit your details for household income assessment.
We regret that the following groups of students are ineligible for the University of Hull Studentship.
- Students undertaking partial awards. Only students registered for full three- or four-year degree programmes are eligible.
- Students who fail to submit information to permit calculation of RHI or whose assessment gives an RHI of £25,000 or more p.a.
- Students directly continuing from one course to another (for example from foundation degree to HND onto the second or final year of an honours degree)
- Students transferring in from another institution
- Students undertaking a postgraduate qualification
- Students from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man
- Part time students studying at less than 25% intensity of the full-time equivalent
- Students whose fees are paid or part-paid through a sponsorship arrangement
- Students who have previously undertaken HE
- Any student not paying the pro rata equivalent of a £9,250 per year tuition fee
- Foundation Year students (students undertaking their Foundation Year at the University of Hull will be considered on entering the ‘first year’ of their degree)
- Foundation Degree students
The government are planning to introduce a Maintenance Loan for part-time students from September 2018 entry, but haven't announced any details yet.
Funding your Tuition Fees
Part-time students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan. Tuition fee loans have no upper age limit, and are not means tested.
Repaying your Tuition Fee Loan
- Repayments will be 9% of any income above £21,000, so the amount repaid each month will depend on earnings.
- If your income falls below £21,000, your repayments will be suspended.
- All outstanding repayments will be written off after 30 years.
- The repayments process is simple as repayments will be deducted automatically from your pay packet through the tax system.
- Interest on your loan will be applied to your loan at RPI (the Retail Price Index) plus 3%. In September RPI will rise to 3.1%, so the total interest applied to your loan will be 6.1% while you are studying, and up until the April after you leave university.
- From the April after you leave university, if you are earning below £21,000, interest will be applied at RPI.
- If you earn between £21,000 and £41,000, you will be charged interest on a sliding scale up to a maximum of RPI plus 3%.
- If you earn above £41,000, you will be charged interest at the full rate of RPI plus 3%.
- If your part-time course lasts three years or longer, you'll be liable to repay your loan from the April after the fourth anniversary of the start date of your course, even if you continue to study. But no repayments will be made unless you are earning more than £21,000.
- If your part-time course lasts less than three years, graduates will become liable to repay from the April after they leave higher education, and will begin to repay once earning more than £21,000.
Payment options for self-funding part-time students
If you are not taking out a Tuition Fee Loan, there are three payment options available:
- You can pay your fees in full when you register. A discount of 2% is applied to payments made in full at or prior to registration using a debit card, direct bank transfer, cheque or draft, or cash. You may also pay your fees in full using a credit card, but will not receive any discount if paying via this method.
- You can pay one third when you register and the other in two instalments, one in January and one in April.
- You can pay one eighth of the total cost when you register and then seven monthly instalments from November to May.
Loans of £10,280 are available for research and taught Masters courses in all subject areas to students from England and the EU (excluding Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands), providing the course is at least 50% of the intensity of the full-time version. Loans are not means-tested.
Part time students will receive the £10,280 loan spread across their course.
Loans are paid directly to the student, so it will be your reponsbibility to pay your course fees yourself. The loan is paid in thirds throughout the year, and a similar payment plan can be set up with the university for your course fees.
Postgraduate loans will be available for Masters Degrees at UK universities. For a course to be eligible it must:
- Be a postgraduate programme, completed after an undergraduate degree (and not part of a longer, four year, undergraduate Masters).
- Last no longer than 2 years full time or 4 years part time.
- Award a full Master’s degree qualification (Postgraduate Certificates and Postgraduate Diplomas are not eligible).
The following students will be ineligible to receive the postgraduate loan:
- UK students who have not been resident in England for three years preceding the start of the course, or EU students who have not been resident in the EU for the same length of time
- Students over the age of 60 at the start of the academic year (1 September)
- Those who already have a Masters degree or higher, including those with an integrated Masters.
You can receive the postgraduate loan in addition to Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA), if you are eligible for this.
Repayments will be made after you have left university and are earning over £21,000 per year. They will be made at the same time as repayments for your undergraduate loan (if you have one), at the rate of 5% of any earnings above £21,000. If you have a post-2012 undergraduate loan you will be paying this back at a rate of 9% of anything you earn above £21,000 too, so in total your loan repayments will be 15% of earnings above £21,000.
Interest will be applied to your loan at RPI (Retail Price Index) plus 3%. In September RPI will rise to 3.1%, so the total interest applied to your loan will be 6.1%.
Your loan will be written off after 30 years if you haven't paid it back in full.